This project is about redesigning hair trimmer and how I first learnt product design
Hair trimmer is a product that I see every time going to hairdressers. The product is small with only one purpose of cutting hair. Observing hair dresser use it, I wonder about how to improve its usability and aesthetics.
Monö, R (Design for Product Understanding, 1997) has chosen to describe the product as a kind of trinity. The first dimension, the ergonomic whole includes everything that concerns the adjustment of the design to human physique and behaviour when using the product; the technical whole stands for the technical function of the product, its construction and production; and, finally the third aspect, the communicative whole, designates the product’s ability to communicate with users and its adjustment to human perception and intellect.
In this project, before redesigning the product, I conducted 3 analysis:
- Pragmatic Analysis: to understand how the product is used in real life, or the usability of the product
- Syntactic Analysis: to understand the technical aspect of the product
- Semantic Analysis: to analyze the communicative aspect of the product
The new design need to improve following drawbacks of current hair trimmer:
- Hard to hold when palm sweats
- Changing spacing is inconvenient
- To improve form and texture of the hair trimmer so that its handling is firmer and avoids slipping when palms is sweat.
- To improve the spacing mechanism so that users don’t have to spend much time on switching different sizes
- The new form of hari trimmer follow users’ palms better with curvier profile
- The spacing is integreated into the hair trimmer
The 3D modelling process is done in Autodesk Alias
- Understanding process is a good starting point when you design new type of product.
- Usability testing is crucial in design of everything. It would be nice to print the design in 3D and let people use and feel it.
- Usage context of product is important: Where, When the product is used will help identify potential user. I didn’t pay attention enough to this. That’s why the new hair trimmer looks too futuristic. At the time I designed this new hair trimmer, I was being immersed in the world of movie Tron Legacy with awesome Lightbikes and decided to create hair trimmer inside this world. If I paid attention, the new hair trimmer will look more like a product we use everyday in real life. It was fun, though.
Monö, R., “Design for Product Understanding”, Liber Stockholm, Sweden, 1997